The aftercare and healing process is an important part of the full tattoo process. When you get a new tattoo, you must be aware that an unhealed tattoo is an open wound and therefore is susceptible to infection.
Follow these aftercare recommendations to keep your tattoo as vibrant and safe as possible.
1. Leave the tattoo dermalize piece on for up to 5 days.
2. After 4-5 days, it can be removed using warm water to loosen the adhesive. Make sure the water is not too hot to avoid burns in the skin.
3. Carefully peel it off and wash the tattoo gently with lukewarm water and unscented soap.
4. If the dermalize falls off before the fifth day, you can either reapply it again if you have been given spare, or continue with the previous aftercare recommendations.
CLING FILM COVERING
1. After getting tattooed, leave the cling film on for 3-5 hours.
2. You must have after care products before removing your bandage. The basic hypoallergenic soap without perfume, paper towels, paper tape or medical tape, and cream (Bepanthen recommended). We advise you to use the most basic products as possible without added perfumes or oils.
3. Wash your hands every time before touching your tattoo.
4. After removing the bandage, wash your tattoo gently using only your fingertips (do not use a face cloth or sponge), the chosen soap and cool to lukewarm water. Rinse the area thoroughly. This process pulls out all the elements that create thick scabs and will further the proper healing of your new tattoo.
5. Let the tattoo air dry for 10 minutes or pat dry only the wet areas around the tattoo with fresh clean paper towels - do not wipe or rub it dry.
6. Gently apply a small amount of your chosen aftercare and rub it into the skin completely. You need to get a very thin coat and pat away any excess remaining on the surface of the skin. The key is to not let the tattoo become dry as the skin can crack.
7. Wrap the tattoo with a new piece of cling film and tape it on.
8. Repeat these steps 2/3 times daily (every six hours approx.) for the next 3 days and always ensure to wash the old cream off before applying the new one.
9. After 3 days, you can stop wrapping it with film. Make sure you always keep your tattoo moist by using your chosen aftercare. Don’t ever pick or scratch at your tattoo, as this can lead to loss of colour or infection. If it’s itchy, please apply more aftercare cream, as the skin is probably dry.
10. You should continue to treat your new tattoo in this way for about 2-3 weeks, or until the tattoo has stopped flaking and is no longer dry and shiny.
Use the aftercare and cleanser products recommended by your tattoo artist.
Keep the tattoo out of sunlight, sun beds, jacuzzis, saunas, baths, pools, oceans, or soaking in water till healed.
DO NOT touch the tattoo and try to keep as little clothing friction as possible. Clothing such as socks, bra straps, belts, etc can cause irritation. Avoid rough fabrics and tight clothes, it’s recommendable to use loose clothing allowing the tattoo to breathe.
DO NOT pick, scratch or even touch your new tattoo unless you are cleaning it.
DO NOT work out excessively. Sweating excessively could damage your tattoo and increase the time to get healed.
DO NOT let your tattoo get dirty (do not allow anyone to touch it and do not get your pets close without complete healing). Avoid any contact with dirt, oil/grease and other irritants as well as unwashed hands, body fluids, make-up, false tan and some other body products.
Alcohol and drug use (including smoking cigarettes), and not enough sleep/food can weaken your body system, slowing down your healing process.
Once your tattoo has fully healed, you just need to keep it hydrated with your normal daily moisturiser. You should protect it from fading by always using UV protection, preferably a total sun block or minimum SPF30 when it’s going to be exposed to sunlight.